In response to the Sandusky abuse scandal, Penn State has been penalized for "a leadership failure over an extended period of time."
The penalties imposed are"
- A fine of $60 million to be used to establish programs for abuse victims - one year's annual revenue of football program.
- No post season play by football team for 4 years.
- Football scholarships reduced from 25 to 15 for 4 years.
- Football players may transfer without penalty.
- Football players may maintain current scholarships whether or not they play.
- Forfeiture of all games from 1998 to 2011 (112 victories).
- Five year probation with academic integrity monitor.
- Sanctions to be imposed after criminal proceedings for anyone involved in scandal.
- University required to adopt Freeh Report recommendations.
- Establishment of compliance system to ensure university control over athletic program.